Edward J. Copeland
A former Illinois legislator and past chair of the Illinois State Board of Education and Bank of the North Shore, Edward Copeland draws upon his experience in government and business when serving real estate clients. Although known and respected for his public service and business acuity, Ed does not seek a high profile, preferring to obtain the best results for his clients quietly. He prides himself on delivering excellent value for every legal dollar clients spend; clients consistently praise him for his ability, ingenuity and professional reliability.
Knowing how to navigate government entities and financial institutions has helped Ed win a loyal clientele, a direct result of the diligence he exhibits and the quality of legal work he performs. His public service began in 1966 when voters elected and later reelected him to the Illinois House of Representatives. Beginning in 1975, he served for nine years on the Illinois State Board of Education, appointed by Governor Daniel Walker and reappointed by Governor James Thompson. He also organized the Bank of the North Shore in Northbrook, Illinois, and served as board chairman there for five years.
Engaged in the practice of law since 1959, Ed joined Schuyler, Roche & Crisham in 1989, persuaded that Schuyler, Roche & Crisham offered then—as it does now—the sophistication of a large downtown office while retaining the best attributes of a midsize law firm, namely, speed of response and close personal contact between attorneys and clients. Indeed, he strives to turn around leases in days, not weeks. Since joining us he has continued to offer a broad range of legal services to his real estate clients.
AREAS OF PRACTICE
Concentrating in commercial real estate primarily, Ed counsels and represents both businesses and individuals regarding real estate law, including the purchase, development, financing, construction, leasing and sale of office buildings, shopping centers and retail, industrial and residential properties. In addition to representing a wide variety of successful individuals and privately held business concerns, he also has represented a number of nationally recognized developers and real estate syndicators. Categorized below are some of the many substantial realty matters he has handled.
- assisted in negotiating a $43.5 million permanent mortgage loan and in closing on a joint venture with a national insurance and annuity association for a commercial office building in Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
- closed on a $12.9 million construction loan with one of Chicago's leading banks for a commercial office building on Sanders Road near Willow Road in unincorporated Cook County, Illinois.
- obtained—in the amount of $16.9 million and $6 million—Special Facility Revenue Bonds at Midway Airport with the City of Chicago and the Department of Aviation for a major U.S. airline
- managed an Industrial Revenue Bonds project in Addison, Illinois, totaling $1.9 million and $1.4 million.
- handled the purchase, development and financing of 119 acres of land for $8 million, which the client converted into 130 lots for single-family houses in Frankfort, Illinois
- assisted in the construction and sale of a 26-acre site, later developed into 50 single-family lots and houses in Peotone, Illinois
- managed the purchasing, development and financing of 24 acres of land on which the client built 18 single-family lots, 24 duplex units and commercial property in Frankfort, Illinois
- oversaw the development of a shopping center on 13-plus acres of land in Arlington Heights, Illinois
- negotiated with the City of Chicago regarding the proposed landmark designation of a prominent office building on Michigan Avenue in Chicago.
- negotiated the purchase of a hospital in Waukegan, Illinois, for $30 million
- represented the purchaser of a medical center in Danville, Illinois; the property sold for $26 million
- negotiated the $3.6 million purchase of 116 acres of land for multi-family residential housing and commercial purposes in Schaumburg, Illinois
- oversaw the purchase of 43-plus acres of unimproved land in Buffalo Grove, Illinois, for $3.1 million
- negotiated an option to purchase and a joint venture totaling $3.1 million with a significant regional pension fund for 10.7 acres of unimproved land in Bannockburn, Illinois
- purchased an 88,000-square-foot industrial building for a manufacturing facility in Addison, Illinois
- arranged the purchase and construction of a 55,700-square-foot office building on 3.4 acres in Mount Prospect, Illinois; the project totaled $2.8 million
- arranged the purchase of a 52,743-square-foot industrial building on a 5.6-acre parcel at the Ford City Mall in Chicago
- assisted in purchasing and financing the Congress Hotel at 520 South Michigan Avenue in Chicago
- negotiated with the Chicago Board of Education regarding land purchase at State and Madison streets in Chicago.
- negotiated the sale of a 33,500-square-foot parcel with office building in Skokie, Illinois, for $2 million
- negotiated the sale of a 2.8-acre parcel of Chicago land and its office building for $1.2 million.
- represented a client leasing 99,592 square feet of office space at 101 North Wacker Drive in Chicago
- arranged the lease of 45,129 square feet of space in an office building located at One North Dearborn Street in Chicago to the state branch of a national financial institution
- counseled on the development, financing, construction and leasing of 150 North Michigan Avenue in Chicago
- reviewed and drafted major leases at buildings located at One North Dearborn, One North LaSalle, 360 North Michigan, Six North Michigan and 59 West Van Buren in Chicago.
Miscellaneous real estate closings:
- on a $13.1 million joint venture with an affiliate of one of the largest life insurance companies in the United States regarding a 12.6-acre multi-family residential housing project in Arlington Heights, Illinois
- on a $12.3 million transaction with an affiliate of one of the nation's largest life insurance companies regarding a 17.7-acre multi-family residential housing project in Willowbrook, Illinois
- on a 64,500-square-foot medical office building in Libertyville, Illinois.
Martindale-Hubbell, a more than 135-year-old network of legal resources, has extended Ed an "AV" rating, the highest achievable distinction from its peer review process, which considers legal ability, ethical standards, professional reliability and diligence. In addition, Ed was:
- awarded the Best Legislators' Award from the Independent Voters of Illinois while serving in the Illinois House of Representatives
- presented with a gubernatorial citation in recognition of and appreciation for his leadership and dedication to Illinois school children when serving as a charter member and chair of the Illinois State Board of Education
- profiled in the first and subsequent editions of Who's Who in America, beginning in 1978.
If you believe Ed Copeland's background in business, experience in government and diversity of engagement can benefit your next real estate project, please give him a call.